"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, November 4, 2013

Venance and Benoit and an African Halloween


Hey everyone!  I hope you've all had a wonderful week!  Out here it's been pretty splendid.  Elder Edwards and I decided to celebrate a bit this past Thursday, so I dressed up like a ninja and he carved a pumpkin and we ate some chicken noodle soup and candy.  It was a blast!  Everybody kind of looked at us weird as we went outside to light up our pumpkin, but we didn't care!  The two African missionaries in the apartment got a kick out of it, too!

 
Elder Edwards (the other American in my apartment) bought and carved a pumpkin!

Happy Halloween!  I decided to be a ninja.
I got some mad ninja missionary skills


Everyone just kind of sitting around as Elder Edwards lit it up
Had to pose with the pumpkin


Our little friend

 
Here's a pic of the chicken noodle soup I made.  I put in a few too many noodles so it became a bit of a chicken noodle casserole after I stored it in the fridge.

And I treated myself to an orange Fanta float. DELICIOUS!

Kind of scared me the first time I opened the fridge and a pumpkin was staring back at me
 
We had two baptisms on Saturday!  Venance and Benoit, both of whom are what we call papas since they're both older than 50ish.  But they have both, like Komlan, made some great changes in their life and are now along a new path.  Both are also eager to have us over to teach the rest of their families!
 
 The baptism on Satuday, 11/2/13.  Venance is next to me and Benoit is next to Elder Mbala with President Sam in the middle

Then, yesterday, Sunday, we got to watch General Conference!  It was such a great experience, and the Spirit was tangibly there.  After the Book of Mormon and the temple, General conference is my third testimony of the truth and power of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  We truly do have the opportunity twice a year to listen to and receive the messages of a true prophet of God, his two counselors, the 12 apostles, and other appointed authorities that have been so carefully prepared according to the Spirit of God.  The 15 men at the head of this church (the Prophet, his 2 counselors, and the 12 apostles) have truly been called to lead the Lord's only true church on the earth today, and when they speak, it is truly by the power of God.

General Conference set up on Sunday!  It was different watching in French, but the Spirit was definitely still there carry the messages that we needed to hear!
We had four people come to visit us at church yesterday, one of which we have already taught and 3 that were invited by friends to come, and they all loved it.  They were so amazed to feel the Spirit and love that resides in every single message at General Conference.  Honestly, I agree with President Monson, Sunday morning session was probably the overall most spiritual session I ever watched, music included.  But these four people absolutely loved their visits, and I'm very excited to go visit them this week.

Well, that's about it.  Oh!  I forgot to mention that we got to experience a solar eclipse here on Sunday!  Right as we were leaving church it was in place, so I was careful not to look at the sun.  But the lighting was really eerie.  It was kind of a twilight zone feel, which was pretty awesome.  It also cooled down so that helped on the way back to the apartment.

Have a great week everyone.  I love you all!
 
Avec amour,
Elder Jenkins

 
This little guy decided to go creeping in as I was cleaning the kitchen this morning!


Note from mom:  I received a couple more pictures this morning from Elder and Sister Christensen, who are serving in Togo with Elder Jenkins. 
 

"The Doctor" doing his job 10/27/13

With the other Southern Elder Preston, Elder Preston Burkhart from Atlanta
 

No comments:

Post a Comment