"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, November 25, 2013

Riding the church bus . . .


Elder Rasolo and I in the van

Well it's been a great week!  I'm writing today from Baguida, my new secteur!  It's a really great secteur.  I actually haven't been out to teach yet because I got there on Saturday, and we immediately had a baptismal service that evening at Kégué!  We didn't get back until decently later in the evening. Then, yesterday I found out that church is from 1:30 to 4:30, but for some reason the branch here really likes to run over and it's super far (it takes us like 30 minutes to get there between riding in a taxi and walking), so we didn't get home until like 6:30, by which time the sun is already down!  And then today was P-day! But I'm really excited to be going out tomorrow!

 All of the 7 that were baptized by the two companionships in Baguida! 
Elder Peterson left a great present waiting for me!  Fortunately, he
was there too with his new companion so he got to see them get baptized.

With Assouka and Guillaume, the two that I left in Wuiti who were baptized
on Saturday!  We have been teaching Guillaume every Saturday since
my second week in Africa and he finally got baptized on Saturday!



So, this past Saturday, we had four baptisms!  The other companionship in our branch had 3!  So between all of us and the members who came to support them, we had a bunch of people.  Instead of getting a bunch of taxis and emptying our pockets, we rented a bus-ish looking van that takes people up to the village.  The driver is a former follower of a recent convert in the Anfamé branch that used to be a pastor.  His church was in our area, so he helps us all the time with contacts and such.  So we rented it for about 30 dollars round trip, and it was a blast!  I definitely got to see a different side of Togo and it was beautiful!  I didn't take any pictures, but I'll make sure to do that this weekend when we go to the baptism this Saturday!
That's the van that we rented
With the bus driver
Loved the bus drivers shirt!
It was pretty crazy in there.  What's even crazier is that they fit
twice as many people in that to go to the village!
So I don't really know that much about my new area, but it's BEAUTIFUL!  And our house is HUGE!  And we're a two minute walk from the most beautiful beaches in Togo! The only problem with this area is that everywhere there is sand which makes it hard to walk, and it's super far from everyone.  But other than that it's amazing!  My companion is super as well!  His name is Elder Rasolonantenaina (pretty sure I spelled that right), and he's from Madagascar!  He's super chill and he loves this area and the people, but he said he's only got like 3 or 4 weeks on his visa, so he's pretty much just here to show me the area.  I was pretty sad to hear that because I really like him!  Also, he's a wiz with the Bible which is definitely a weak point for me, so I'm excited to see how we'll work together in lessons!

 a view of my new house.  It has grass, a mango tree, some pepper plants,
and some growing papaya trees that Elder Kunz planted.
There was a storm going through as we were leaving for Kégué on Saturday.
I think that's about it this week. Not terribly too much going on, but next week's letter should be filled with new stories and adventures!  I love you all so much!  Have a great week!
Avec amour,

Elder Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment