"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, February 23, 2015

Defending truth more boldly and more politely

Well folks, it's been another week.  I have greatly felt of the Lord's love for me and all of His children.  This love brightens even the darkest of nights and will fill up any life that is willing to receive it.

I first felt of God's love this past Tuesday at Zone Conference.  'Twas an especially good conference, filled with inspiration.  The first segment was two security agents/ directors for the Africa West area of the Church.  They filled us in on emergency protocol and everyday safety.  It was interesting for me as presidential elections will be happening in a few weeks in Togo and things could potentially heat up.

At one point of time, I heard the Lord's voice speaking to me, which is why I felt as if I were filled with His love.  President Morin felt inspired to watch President Uchtdorf's talk from the New Mission President Seminar this past year, for which President and Sister Morin were both present.

President Uchtdorf started out explaing the sacrament and testifying of it to us.  It was good and edifying and all, but it didn't seem to be the central message of his talk to me.  I took note, but was even more intrigued as to how he would use that.  He then went on explaining how we follow the Savior's example, an essential element to this work.  One of the most important examples in this work is to fear God more than we fear men.  We should fear God before man in our obdience to God's commandments and missionary rules.  We should fear God more than man in opening our mouths unceasingly in proclaiming His restored gospel.  We should fear God more than man in defending truth and righteousness.  We should fear God before man in building up His Kingdom here on earth and preparing the way for the Savior's Second Coming.

Also, I felt God's voice speaking comfort to me as President Uchtdorf related the story of a stalwart young missionary that served in England.  He explained how this missionary was a force for good in his mission as he never backed down from what he knew and believed to be true, yet he always sought to be a peacemaker and an encourager.  He then added that this young missionary was never once an assistant to the president nor was he ever a zone leader, but he was a trainer, and his influence for good was felt throughout the whole mission and in every ward and area that he served in.  I felt the Lord's voice comforting me and letting me know that I'm giving it all that I have and that I'm exactly where He would like me to be now--improving!

After this conference, my companion and I both decided that we needed to increase our efforts of speaking with everyone around us, "not fearing what man can do, for [He is] with [us]" (D&C 30:11).  As we have done this, we have found more investigators.  However, we have also invited more persecution with a wider audience.  But we have accepted and go forth with the Lord's promise that He is with us, which fills us with His strength to continue carrying out His work in HIs way.

May we all go about our week defending truth more boldly and more politely.  The Lord has promised us, and so do I, that if we defend truth with all our might and love all men with all our differences, we will not be deceived nor confounded before men.

I love you all so much.  Have a great, righteous week!

Avec amour,

Elder Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment