"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, October 7, 2013

What valiant servant would be upset about receiving an assignment to serve?

Enjoying the beach and working on the farmer's tan!


Another week gone!  And yes, they still fly.  To start off, Tuesday was a great day!  We had splits with the Assistants and Elder Dagrou and I worked with Elder Gomun, another Ivorien.  It was interesting working with 2 Ivoriens, but I loved it!  I learned so much, too!  The only bad thing about this week was that we didn't get to watch General Conference.  But, at least I got to listen to like 30 minutes of the Saturday Morning Session!
 
Loving life!
 


Nothing better than a day at the beach!

Also, we spent the whole day at the beach today!  I loved it!  We played some soccer and frisbee and took a bunch of pictures!  But I ended up super sunburnt afterwards.  So, my good farmers tan turned into a drastic farmers BURN.  But, it was all made right by a trip to Akif's for Chawarmas (yeah, like what Iron Man talk about at the end of Avengers.  They exist, and they're DELICIOUS).

So Saturday we received the transfer call from the Assistants.  Elder Dagrou is being transferred to Anfamé to be a Zone Leader!!!  We were both a little sad because of how great we've gotten along, but he's happy because he gets to work with Elder Layton again!  Anyways, I had a really good growing experience with that this past weekend.

So this whole week, everyone has been telling me that I'm going to be transferred because I've been here for so long.  So, naturally on Saturday, I was expecting to receive the call to be transferred.  Saturday at noon, the assistants called for some reason and talked to my companion.  He then told me that I was transferred to Kégué and would be working with Elder Kognani and that the Assistants would call later that night to confirm it.  Well, I was content.  Kégué has the nice church building with a nice piano and Elder Kognani is nice.  So, I was just about ready to pack up my bags.  Then, the assistants called Saturday night.  PSYCH.  I'm not moving.  I'm staying for at least another 6 weeks.


Well, needless to say, I was a little disappointed.  My whole afternoon had been spent thinking about my future life in Kégué.  However, as I knelt down to start my fast Saturday night, the floods of revelation opened up to me as I was praying.  I recognized that I am the Lord's servant.  I can't expect to want or ask for things myself that are contrary to His will.  Another testimony to me of the true meaning of prayer.  What kind of servant would ask his master for something and then be upset when he doesn't get it?  How can a servant truly serve his master if he isn't happy or willing to serve him?  What valiant servant would be upset about receiving an assignment to serve?
 
I truly began to feel the power of my calling again, and I felt happy for the opportunity to stay here.  Then, yesterday at church as I was bearing my testimony, I looked out at all of the faces of the members whom I have come to love, and I knew that my work here is not finished, and I was so happy about it.
 
This is probably the quickest attitude change in my whole life (most of you who know me know that when I'm not happy, I'm not happy), and it was a great example to me of the life changes that a mission brings.  I am so grateful to God for this opportunity to keep working in this secteur with a new companion, and I know that my work in this branch is not yet finished, and I intended to finish all of my work here going about my Father's business.
 
I love you all so much.  Have a great week.

Avec amour,
Elder Jenkins
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment