"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, October 14, 2013

Introducing . . . my new companion!

Let me introduce you to my new companion, Elder Mbala!
So this week was my first with Elder Mbala, and today marks exactly 4 months in Africa!  This week has been a great one.  Elder Mbala and I don't quite have the relationship that I had with Elder Dagrou, but it's only been 6 days.  He's interesting and he's a great guy, and I'm looking forward to getting to know him.  He's from Congo and his native tongue is Swahili.  He still speaks French because Congo is a French-speaking country, but he said in his home it's all Swahili.  So, Shaka, if you've got any cool/ funny/ inspirational phrases, I'm open.
 
So this week, as I have had to take over the planning and teaching with a companion that is new to this area, I've really come to understand the work in missionary work.  But I've also noticed something much more than that.  I have seen first hand the power and authority that resides in this work and in this church.  There is no other church on this earth that has this power.  This power is the priesthood, which is the power and authority to act in the name of God.

Many, many people have asked me why I choose to stay in this religion.  Many think that it is too strict, too closed-minded, and they require too many sacrifices, like leaving everything for 2 years to serve in a foreign place.  The fact is, I choose to stay here because I love my God.  I have seen power in this church that I cannot deny, because I know it is the power of God.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is truly the same church that Christ himself established on the earth, and has restored in the latter days.  The same power that Jesus Christ himself held on the earth has been restored and is now held by a prophet of God named Thomas S. Monson, who is a prophet for the world today just like Adam, Noah, Moses, Abraham, Isaiah, and all of the other prophets of old.  There reason I have left my home to live in a foreign (and many times, VERY foreign) country and it is to share this glad message with the world.  I know these things to be true.  I have lived them, and I am a witness to them.  And now, I have the opportunity to do all of these things in the name of Jesus Christ, being a personal representative of Him.

I am so very grateful to have a knowledge of the truth, a knowledge of God's Plan for us all.  The thought that someone might not hear this message makes me so terribly sad, and so I continue in my Father's business.  I hope that each of you that reads this can have this same knowledge that I have of these things.  I you have any questions about what I have shared, you are welcome to write me, or you can visit mormon.org.  (Here is a link to my profile on mormon.org: http://mormon.org/me/904F/Preston)

I love and miss each of you all, but my time is here and now in Togo.  May God be with you all until we meet again.

Avec amour,
Elder Jenkins
 
Getting some service in after a mangez-vous at Soeur Pauline's for Elder Kabedeh's birthday on the 8th!

Found this little guy in our apartment.  He looks mean, but at least he's dead.

We cut down our bananas today!  Bon appetit!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment