"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Prime Minister's baptism and football in Africa


Gabriel's baptism.  Left to right: Elder Dagrou, Président Laurent (of Doumassesse, who gave us the contact), Gabriel, me, and Pres. Sam (the 2nd counselor of our branch)


Well, after this week, I will be done with all formal types of training as a missionary!  Of course we're always learning, but I'll still now be a full-fledged missionary! It's amazing to see what's behind me now, and I'm very excited for what's ahead!  This past Saturday we had our baptism of KODJO Gabriel, the former Prime Minister!  He's already shared his tesimony many times in front of many people, but then, speaking in front of people isn't really a problem for him.  But he has definitely become more comfortable with us, so we've seen the fun side of him more, which is a blast!

This morning, we had an activity.  Every month we have one (it's always soccer which I don't mind), but every 3 months they really make a big deal about it.  We tried to get it at the stadium today, but it wasn't possible, so we got the next best thing.  It was a sand/ dirt field, but there were lines down and nets in the goals.  So every 3 months, we make a big deal about it and have the missionaries against the members.  Today, we had two missionary teams and one member team.  We decided to do three matches so that every team could play each other.  My team was in the first match, against the members.  When I say that we make a big deal about it, I mean we make a big deal about it.  We had a head ref, two line refs, and even a fourth ref!  Matching uniforms with numbers, proper substitutions, just about everything.  It was pretty legit.
Anyways, first game.  Elder Mundu, the team captain, put me in as attaquant milieu (striker).  OK. Sure. So I go to that position.  It was a pretty good match.  In the first half, the other team laid a pretty nice goal into the upper 90 against Elder Layton, our keeper.  During the second half, we were on the attack more, and I got a decent amout of action, even one shot on goal.  However, as time was winding down, something needed to happed to equalize.  We were destroying possession, but not coming up with goals.  Finally, we got a set piece about 30 meters out.  The shot was blocked by the wall, and then Elder Dagrou, my companion, took a nice shot that rebounded off the post.  There was only one defender between me and the ball and the goal, and when he attempted to clear it, he whiffed.  Then it was only me, the ball, the keeper, and the goal.  The keeper was playing WAY left, so it was an easy tap from 3 meters out for a GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After that, the Africans really started to respect me more.  My companion said he was very proud of me and was surprised that I could actually play.

Well, that's this week!  Today has been way fun, but exhausting!  Until next week!

Avec amour,
Elder Jenkins



At the apartment before the game in my new ManU jersey and shorts.


my new cleats




Random pic during the game today.  We were forced to wear Chelsea uniforms; I reluctantly switched out of  my new ManU one.

Elder Layton's incredible game winning save during penalties.

Celebrating the score!  My favorite part of the picture is the dejected look of the guy in the red to my left.


Celebrating our first win of the day.

Still celebrating our first win of the day.

Team picure

(borrowed from Elder Layton)

(borrowed from Elder Layton)


(borrowed from Elder Layton)


me with my new uke

(Note from Mom - Labor Day we have gathered in Colorado Springs for Parents Weekend for the last five years.  This morning the 4 of us were eating breakfast in Manitou Springs and each emailing back and forth with Elder Jenkins in Africa and it was almost like he was there with us - it was a great family breakfast together!)
Family breakfast in Manitou Springs



No comments:

Post a Comment