"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, September 29, 2014

"It's much easier to be 100% obedient than 98% obedient"

Elder Nkanza and I!  I tried to get a better picture, but I didn't have the chance, but he's still AWESOME!!!!
My my my.  I think the earth decided to spin a bit faster this week.  Just about everyone I know has said that this past week has flown by.  So true.

This has been an excellent week.  I would say that the most major event was Friday morning.  President Morin organized a mission-wide conference (split in two for Togo and Benin) on obedience.  It is a new push that he has started since he came in July, and many of us had a feeling that such would be the case.

The Assistants really kind of ran the show and set up three white boards with a title on every one.  The first was "Continuer" (continue), the second was "Commencer" (begin or start), and the third was "Cesser" (cease or stop).  We spent about 20 or 30 minutes on each one with a open word to specific activities that apply to each of those three verbs.  I was so grateful for the peace of the Spirit that confirmed that I am striving to be as obedient as I can be.  It is a beautiful feeling.  I still have many things that I need to work harder on, but I am doing my best, and I have felt the Savior's Atonement make up the difference.  We are starting to see miracles come in our area.

We then opened up time for testimonies from President and Sister Morin, the Assistants, and then every single one of the missionaries.  There were some great testimonies given.  I shared my testimony that Ether 12:27 is so true.  I have felt the Spirit strengthen me immensely in my quest to be more exactly obedient.  I have heard his voice guide me, and I have become more accustomed in heeding His promptings more quickly, which, again, has produced some great changes in me.

I had the opportunity also to give a fireside about the Pride Cycle Saturday evening.  This was such an edifying experience.  I think studying it was far more edifying than presenting it.  I decided to create my own cycle based on others I've seen.  I added a couple points, and as I was searching the scriptures, I found that everything fell directly in place!  It was so amazing!  My companion was laughing while I was studying because I just kept freaking out because everything was lining up so perfectly!!! I really learned what it means to truly feast upon the words of Christ and delight in the scriptures.  Here's a picture of my Pride Cycle and one with it translated.  

Pride Cycle


Pride Cycle translated
My testimony this week has been strengthened about prophets and the very important roles that they lead in our lives and in the world.  I thought of this while doing my in depth study of the Pride Cycle.  I thought of ancient people and the early saints of the Church and the peace and joy they found in the gospel and the words of the prophets amid trials and persecution.  I then thought of myself and the world around me.  It is so sad to see things deteriorate so rapidly around me.  Being set apart from the world as a missionary and a servant of God has given me so much light on this.  I have found this same joy and peace in my life.  It is the sweetest feeling to know who I am, to know God's Plan, and to know how I can follow in His ways.

I love you all so much.  Remember, as President Monson said, it is much easier (and more worthwhile) to be 100% obedient than to be 98% obedient.  Have a great week!!!

Avec amour,

Elder Jenkins

View from Frère Kazotti's balcony

No comments:

Post a Comment