"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, August 11, 2014

Eternal hope and happiness


SUPRISE!!!!  We all got our suits in preparation for the marriages coming up in the District.  So we decided to show up lookin classy to Church!  Normally our suits just sit in the mission home because we have no need for them here in this heat!
Hello all -

Honestly, there's been nothing much this past week.  I did have a couple of visits to Immigration.  Kinda cool, but nothing special.  Just some waiting, getting my picture taken, then having my prints taken (that was a pain).  The first lady that took my prints didn't really worry about it too much, but the second was fussing with my eczema.  I think it was partially because it had gotten worse in the two days between the two visits (the second visit was just to go pick up our passports), so my prints didn't match.  Hahaha oh well he got over it when I showed him my hands.

The biggest news that we've had this week is that there's a suspected case of Ebola here in Benin.  Now don't go freaking out quite yet because, 1) it's not even confirmed Ebola (note from mom - the tests came back negative), 2) it's in the northern-most region of Benin, and 3) the Lord and the Church are looking over us and taking care of us.  There's been a bit of a hysteria (ok, maybe too strong of a word, but my English vocabulary is very limited right now) in Cotonou about this news, but everything remains normal for now.

We have received an extensive list for hygiene from President and Sister Morin and a note from the Area Presidency.  However, we don't have water again (it's been two days) so hygiene is going to be a challenge.  There's a guy coming tomorrow to have a look at it.  Might be going to our neighbors to get some water again.

We are being very careful with everything we do, but the thing that keeps us afloat is our faith in Jesus Christ. Without a knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I don't know how I would be able to cope with the tragedies and trials of the world today.  Were it not for the hope of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I honestly think I would be hysterical about this Ebola outbreak.  But, I know that God exists and that He is in control of this whole situation.  I don't know why this sickness is spreading.  There have been tragedies in many peoples' lives I'm sure, but everything has it's purpose.

I don't think that we will be terribly affected by this, but if we are, I know that all will be well.  And that is what the Gospel of Jesus Christ does for us.  Yes, there are many commandments, requirements, and obligations required in being a disciple of Jesus Christ.  At times, it is hard, but through His atoning sacrifice, He enables us and gives us the strength to obey.  In return, we have the confirmation of the Holy Ghost that come what may, it will be for our good, and we CAN love it (my favorite lesson from Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin).

Sorry for being a little bit all over the place this week, but I hope and pray that you all can feel the love and hope of Jesus Christ in this world that is so quickly falling away from God.  I also pray that those affected by this experience (in first- or third-person) may be drawn closer to God and to His Son, Jesus Christ, knowing that only in them can we be constantly guaranteed an eternal hope and happiness.

I love you all so much.  Have a great week!

Avec amour,
Elder Jenkins

The four of us in the apartment looking classy for Church!  08/10/14
My new favorite snack!!!  It's a cookie pretty much like uh-oh oreos and I dip it in peanut butter.  SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So I went with Elder Silvas to Tokpa today (the HUGE market here in Benin) to get him so cleats for our soccer match next week.  He got some mercurials for 20 bucks.  ANYWAYS, the store that we were in had tons of equipement, and I found this volleyball.  I got it 20 bucks too.  SO excited.  It's been a while.  I consider volleyball my second sport, and since I can't swim, might as well play some veebs!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment