"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, July 14, 2014

I have truly felt the power of the Savior's Atonement pick me up when I was down

Hello everyone!  Unfortunately again, time isn't on our side in the cyber.  However, we've had an awesome day today that totally made up for it!  It's been great week, too, so I'm just a happy missionary!

This week, I have truly felt the power of the Savior's Atonement pick me up when I was down.  Both Elder Sahue and I fell sick this past week (and maybe slightly depressed), but both of us were able to overcome that quickly and find our steps again in the work.

Sunday was a special day for me.  We had a "missionary" Sunday, which means that the missionaries do EVERYTHING.  So I was assigned the piano (nothing out of the ordinary there), a talk during sacrament meeting, and the lesson for the Young Men.  With the lesson in Young Men's, I really gained a testimony of the new Youth Curriculum.

I've been working on the preparation quite a bit (the lesson was on covenants), and I was really trying to focus on the aids that they gave in the manual.  When the lesson came, it was amazing the influence that the Spirit had on the lesson.  Everything flowed so well with the questions that the young men had.  And I was very impressed by the level of questions that they had.  It was a very edifying experience.

Then today.  We had an awesome activity this morning celebrating the 8 missionaries that will be going home this week.  We started it off with a basketball game between the French speakers and the English speakers, about which Elder Sahue has talked smack to me every day for two weeks.  Two of our starters showed up late, so we dug a bit of a hole for ourselves (plus they only had 2 missionaries on their team--the rest we just picked up from the other courts).  But we were able to tie it up and actually lead, but they ended up winning.

Follow through
So fast I'm a bluuurrrrrrr
Yep, that's when I started to get tired and walk back on offense (like 5 minutes after starting--I'm so out of shape).
2014 Missionary dunk contest?
 

After that, we had a DELICIOUS African lunch of Atiéké (made from the same stuff as tapioca, but so much more delicious and dry), rice, a tomato-based African sauce, and pork brochettes.  It was delicious.  

Lunch!
Thank you sister missionaries!
Then, there was this girl setting a volleyball by herself on the vball courts (possibly the only ones in this country, haha ok not that drastic, but it's rare), so I walked up and asked if I could pepper a bit with her.  She was fine with it, so we did.  First time I've touched a volleyball like that in over a year.  It was fun.  There were a couple of other missionaries that joined us.  Apparently there's a team here.  I find that kinda hard to believe, but ok!

We kinda just wound down to chatting until we left at like 3:30.  It's been an awesome day, but I'm exhausted.  Thank goodness there was a good cloud cover so it wasn't too hot.

Welp, I think that's about it for this week!  We've got a change in the apartment with Elder Gomun going home, so that should be interesting.  Many new Zone Leaders called with 5 going home!  We've taken a hit in this mission.  Several areas have been closed due to lack of personel, but we'll get that back up in the coming months.

Ok, I love you all so much!!! Have an awesome week!

Avec amour,
Elder Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment