"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, February 24, 2014

Baptisms and new missionaries

Bonjour tous mes amis !  This has been an interesting week for sure, but the biggest news: my new companion, Elder Bile (pronounced Bee-lay, from Côte d'Ivoire), got here on Saturday, so I'm officially training now!  Equally big news: Luc and Vicky's baptism was this past Saturday!  I'm sure Elder Dih and I's new companions were quite surprised to be welcomed into the mission field by a few baptisms. With the total count on Saturday, there were 21 baptisms in Togo alone!  It was an extraordinary (if only a bit long) service!

The baptism on Saturday!  2/22/14

In all honesty, this past week has been a bit of a struggle for me.  Not having a companion is hard when there are very few (none at times) members who are available to go out with you.  But it's ok.  Heavenly Father just wanted to give me a mountain to overcome.  The hardest part was leaving no work being done in my area for 2 days.  But, I was able to swallow my pride and leave my area in order to help the other area in my district.

But then Saturday came!  It was quite the exciting day!  We spent quite a bit of time waiting on Saturday, but finally at about 12 the Assistants came with Elder Bile and Elder Donadier (from France) and we left again at 1 for the baptism!

As I said, the baptismal service was amazing!  The moment that Luc and Vicky were baptized by Frère Folly was very special for me.  I'm sure that
Frère Folly had been waiting for that moment, and I know that Luc and Vicky had been waiting for it since before we even met them!  It was a great service for everyone, and as always, the Spirit was there testifying of this truthfulness.  The Kégué building was a busy place.  One thing that I love about baptisms like those is that, even though there are so many people, it is so personal for them, for the missionaries that taught them, and for God himself.  I am a witness that when a baptism is done by the authority of God, it is written in the Book of Life (see Matt. 16:19 and Rev. 20:12).  This Church is the truth, the only complete truth, which can be found on this earth.  In it, the world can find the authority of God and the blessings both temporal and spiritual that flow from this authority.


Dodji with Président Philippe's baby girl.
Just one week too late for Valentine's day!
Also, I just wanted to note that I am the only English speaker in the apartment now.  Having a Frenchie in the apartment has also showed me how much work I still have to do with French.  What is weird is how weird his accent is to me, but when Africans speak, I don't hear any sort of accent.  Used to be the other way around.  Haha but they are all so pressed to learn English!  We'll see how language study goes tomorrow.

Anyways, I love you all!  The church IS true, and this IS the Lord's work.  As I've said countless times, I'm SO grateful for this time that the Lord has given me to serve Him.  It is a blessing.
 
Avec amour,
Elder Jenkins

Haha this little guy
Got a little tired

No comments:

Post a Comment