"You will be an official representative of the Church. . . . Your purpose will be to invite others to come unto Christ . . . Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humbly and prayerfully serve the Lord in this labor of love among His children. We place our confidence in you." Thomas S. Monson

Monday, January 13, 2014

7 months in Africa - Amazing!

 

Shortest door I've ever had to walk through in my adult life.
Well, my friends, the time is passing.  Tomorrow, the 14th of January, marks 7 months in Africa.  Amazing (and somehow sad) how the time passes on the mission, but I still have much in front of me!  Which means many improvements to make, and many, many more memories to create.  

I am so grateful for the time that the Lord has granted me to serve Him in the fulness and the truthfulness of His work.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is truly the Lord's Church and the Kingdom of God on earth today.  I am amazed, proud, happy, and humbled at the same time to say that I have a knowledge of these things and that I am a member of this Church.  The Lord has truly blessed me with a knowledge of these things, which is why I have left my home/family/studies to serve Him wherever and however he wants me to.  You may think I'm crazy, confused, or just weird, but I know that these things are true.

This week has been a bit slower.  I think there's still a bit of post-holiday depression that's following us around, but it's starting to pick back up again.  It also didn't help that we had two baptisms set up on Saturday were not able to happen for various reasons, but we've already made progress in getting things lined up so they should be good to go this week! Other than that, we have many promising candidates for baptism that we're very excited for.  And what's better is that each one of them have so many family/friends who have already come in contact with the Church through them that are interested!  We are hoping and praying that these people will have the faith to act on the things that we ask them to do to help them increase their faith and testimony.

We have a few investigators that are progressing well.  Two of our best right now are a couple, Luc and Vicky.  They are a very young couple with a baby girl, and they are absolutely AMAZING!!!  They were a contact given to us by Frère Foly, who is the Church Building Manager/Coordinator for all of Togo.  Every lesson they are so attentive and even take notes!  They don't hesitate to pray, and they love keeping their commitments.  We have been teaching them for three weeks now, and every single week they have come to church. Now that they are more experienced they are more comfortable, especially when Fr. Foly came this week to take care of the baby so that they could focus during the last two hours of church.  They are progressing so well.  African law requires that they pay an expensive dowry before they can be married and so we can't baptize them yet.  We (along with Frère Foly) have counseled them to pray and to talk with the Branch President and with their parents to see if they can't work something out so that they can receive the blessings of baptism.  Your prayers will always help, especially to provide a miracle for this amazing family.

The work is still progressing very well, even though we've had some trials.  But trials are what make us grow and mature, and I am very grateful for the trials that I have had and will continue to have that have made me a better person.

I love you all so much, and I hope you all have a wonderful and happy week!

Avec amour,
Elder Jenkins
 
Crazy African cow herding in Africa!  (Taken from the couple's
car heading home after the baptismal service).
 

Elder Kunz's Papaya trees!!!  Those things were a foot tall when I got here a month and a half ago!  Pretty soon, they'll be bearing fruit! 


A good look of the Harmattan haze in this picture.

Puppy!!!!!  Adorable.

We had a mangez-vous at President Kevin's house (1st counselor of the Branch) on Wednesday.  It got pretty crazy!  Those cans are empty!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment